Inside a Flagrantly Violent Sheen

I am watching the clouds go by,
sitting, myself, not the clouds,
in a giant spaceship, and the clouds
are so relaxed, belligerently cheerful
and nonchalant. They don’t speak

but listen carefully, dragging memories
of careless days when I threw
rocks across the wasteful tar roads.

I work at reading some good stuff,
but nothing strikes me with reward, so I

concentrate and the fine but random
patterns in the caramel-dipped wood,
which is singing to me about the cause
of my loneliness, humming about my
broken spirit, asking me why I slouch

in bubbling detestation of my inability
to be good in the world, and I look up
to see that we’ve left the clouds behind
and there is only a sad lull of the blue
that wraps itself in the flagrantly
violent sheen of an evil sun.

, , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Carl D'Agostino on February 13, 2013 - 6:23 am

belligerently cheerful – such splendid effervescence !

• #2 by Carl on February 18, 2013 - 9:29 pm

Yes, almost obnoxious. Thanks for your comment, Carl. You are very kind to read and comment and I appreciate it.

2. #3 by Hudson Howl on February 13, 2013 - 11:22 pm

You remind me that the things in which I find comforting, that allow me to escape into, is a luxury that some don’t have -the sky is just blue, light just gaseous vapour -it doesn’t patch us heal us and if it does it is just placebo. I need to remind myself of that. I am definitely not as compassionate as I should be. But your words help to prod me. To think of those who struggle with what I perceive as being small but are for them huge terrors. Thank you, your a constant reminder that I need to think outside of my mind far more often then I do.

• #4 by Carl on February 18, 2013 - 9:33 pm

Your comment brings big gratitude for me. I love hearing about the unique reactions people have to poetry, and your comment teaches me. I shouldn’t try too hard, but I hope I get lucky sometimes. Maybe I did this time.

3. #5 by clinock on February 18, 2013 - 12:06 am

Your poetry exists on so many levels – I become floatingly lost in the glorious words then am plunged to earth by the gritty content – you always knock my socks off Carl…

• #6 by Carl on February 18, 2013 - 9:34 pm

Your comment knocks my socks off! You made me smile, and I feel very lucky for your reaction and your comment. Thank you.

4. #7 by Jamie Dedes on February 19, 2013 - 7:15 am

A lot of depth to your work, Carl, and one is reminded of how hard it is to live up to our ideals … then you have a sense of humor and give it a light touch. You don’t take yourself too seriously, which is charming.

Thanks for your many visits.

Be well and poem on …

• #8 by Carl on February 19, 2013 - 8:52 pm

Thank you so much for your comments, Jamie! Your kindness means a lot to me.

5. #9 by elettracavendish on February 23, 2013 - 3:40 am

I am probably projecting, but I think I sense, in part at least, what you mean about the clouds. Sometimes the weather, especially in its splendor, can be somehow vicious.

6. #10 by elettracavendish on February 23, 2013 - 3:42 am

Very evocative piece, in any event. Thank you –and apologies for my comments being broken down into two bits, I’m struggling with IT on the road–.

• #11 by Carl on March 5, 2013 - 3:22 pm

Thank you for both of your comments, Elettra. You helped clarify the piece for me. 🙂