A Friend? A Friend Stopped by?

Odd the things we channel our minds on
when preparing for the day in the water closet
(I’m not British, but the term is nicer than bathroom).

My mind will be a rocket ship on roller skates
in the middle of an infinitely-wide, seemingly so,
hockey rink, with all of the best from the hated
Sharks team, skating at me, not the goal, and they
all have pucks and more pucks so they do not feel

compelled to fear running out of ammo, and these
guys shoot hard, and I never have any pads, but
glory-be, instead of making slight attempts at
stopping the pucks, I’m pelted over and over as my

mind considers all the fabulous things I’ll do today,
sometimes projecting conversations in which
I feel as if I’m Winston Churchill, perfectly
undefeated in my oratory skirmishes, and this, after

all, is how I fuel my pride, how I feel sufficiently
armed to go out into the human world where every
glance is likely to melt me into the painted ice with
the molten black and rubbery smell of the pucks.

But today, Time, she came by.
Actually, just outside the window, which was closed
to the prickling chips of winter, but she looked
positively on fire, and you know what Time does,

she scolds you, and she was here this morning to tan
my hide, “Hey pig, piggy-pig, pig, pig, pig, pig.”
She said, Carl, you fool, your life is all gone.
Why do you fret and fritter about getting ready this
morning for a world that is all gone, that is not for you?

, , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Jennifer on January 30, 2013 - 6:59 am

Wow. This is remarkable, Carl! Very good piece. Do you submit work? You should send this one out.

• #2 by Carl on February 12, 2013 - 10:31 pm

Thank you for your comment, Jennifer. I appreciate your kindness. My editor won’t let me submit anything. He doesn’t help me at all and just tells me this stuff stinks, but I keep writing despite him!

2. #3 by blueangelwolf on January 30, 2013 - 7:10 am

Excellent!

• #4 by Carl on February 12, 2013 - 10:31 pm

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it!

3. #5 by Carl D'Agostino on January 30, 2013 - 7:20 am

Why do you fret and fritter about getting ready this
    morning for a world that is all gone, that is not for you?

Because I still have to survive in it

• #6 by Carl on February 12, 2013 - 10:33 pm

Yes, it’s not too tough to fret and fritter for the benefit of survival.

4. #7 by joanna on January 30, 2013 - 9:46 pm

some fabulous phrases in this like the “prickling chips of winter”… the last two lines i felt hit me to my core, though; absolutely tragic, somehow.

• #8 by Carl on February 12, 2013 - 10:34 pm

Joanna, thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate your visit and your comment inspires confidence.

5. #9 by clinock on January 31, 2013 - 1:35 am

Mornings are painful fantasies – thank the gods I no longer have to face them – your poem, as always, gets under my skin…

• #10 by Carl on February 12, 2013 - 10:37 pm

What happens when you don’t have to face the mornings anymore? I’m afraid I might not wake to the day.

• #11 by clinock on February 13, 2013 - 1:29 am

Afternoons are quite lovely to wake to…

6. #12 by adamfromnorway on March 5, 2013 - 3:46 pm

• #13 by Carl on March 13, 2013 - 9:49 pm

Thank you for your comment. I enjoyed seeing your work.