Light Poles for Death

Buses feel faster than their true velocity.

I stare at the driver’s black boots, boots with multiple soft and white scruffs but no crinkles or wrinkles, boots that will last forever. I love the fat gas pedals on buses. I imagine the encounter with the platform-like pedal as a fuzzy, electric boost to the ego.

Presently, the man’s foot is down almost all of the way, so we must be doing as best as we can.

The short light poles with antique lanterns, in charcoal gray move by quickly and steadily, and it strikes me dead-frozen that the only people who really get to enjoy these poles are all of the suicides who jump into the dirty Missouri River.

, , , , , ,

1. #1 by Carl D'Agostino on November 15, 2011 - 6:00 am

The buses for long distance travel move frighteningly fast from what I have seen. That’s why they call them Greyhounds.

• #2 by Carl on November 15, 2011 - 8:56 pm

Oh, those greyhounds scare me. I pull over in the breakdown when I see those guys in the mirror.

2. #3 by Kay Camden on November 15, 2011 - 9:24 am

So that smoke was from your car? Is that why you’re on the bus now?
    Well, it sounds like you’re enjoying the light poles and not so bothered by your morning commute. Is this a good thing?

• #4 by Carl on November 15, 2011 - 9:01 pm

Kay, I love the story you have me in! The truth is that the guy in the bus is the guy who stole the baby which came to my mind one day when I stared at the top of a bus with the number 003. Don’t ask me where any of it came from but I was surprised that they would number a bus 003.

I forget where the smoky car came from, but I don’t think it was literal smoke. I think it was the screen of disguise or something like that. These things are hard to track for me, so you can understand why I gave up on NaNoWriMo 5000 words in…

• #5 by Kay Camden on November 16, 2011 - 9:06 am

I’m going with it. It’s all literal to me. I hope that baby is weaned or you’ll have to find a nursing mother quick–milk is so much better for babies than formula. Ever seen the movie Shoot ‘Em Up?

At least you attempted NaNoWriMo. You = points for trying, me = no points. haha

3. #6 by Robin Hawke on November 15, 2011 - 11:36 am

Love the second paragraph, all of it, but particularly the second paragraph.

• #7 by Carl on November 15, 2011 - 9:02 pm

Thank you for your comment, Robin.