How Do I Do This?

I need to tell the boss
I’m quitting.

So instead, I email my wife
to seek her superlative advice.
I ask, “Should I do it
at the end of the day?”
She says, “You better
do it now,
in case she leaves early for the day,”
which she’s never done.
(My boss, that is, has never left early.)

So, I notice
my to-go coffee cup
still has a bar code
sticker. It is damned
important that I remove it.
Now, not later.

So, I take some deep breaths
and sip the coffee
to get ready,
which seems
like it might take twelve hours
or So.

, , , , , ,

1. #1 by carldagostino on June 2, 2011 - 5:24 am

The Ramblings discussed 6-liners today. I told her about you post in comments just now. Perhaps you may visit and leave 6-liner. Me today: parents’ doctors. Bring crossword.

• #2 by Carl on June 2, 2011 - 7:04 am

I’ll have to look for that. Thank you for commenting. I feel depth with your six.

• #3 by Carl on June 3, 2011 - 6:41 am

What is the site address for The Ramblings?

2. #4 by MARANTHA JENELLE on June 2, 2011 - 5:26 am

Very good, Carl, I really liked this one. Poor guy, he didn’t have the balls to make the decision on his own, he had to call his wife and still, in the end, found cause to procrastinate.

How very human naturish…we seek advice for things we are not sure within our own hearts will be the right choice, and then doubt the very advice we are given to the point that we still wind up right back at the point we were at before we sought it.

Irony…life is so very full of it.

Very good job. Do you know one reason I like to read your writing? Because so much of it skips the b.s. and get right down to the nitty gritty truth of human nature…for those that read with the eyes of their soul and not the eyes of the world, your words hold within them small truths…and often act as a mirror into which many…even those who can see those truths…may deny simply because they ARE the truth.

Keep up the good work and stay blessed,

marantha

By the way, did you know that a tiny piece of a writers heart and soul go into even the simplest things that they write? Hmmm…I think perhaps your heart and soul hold secrets and wisdom even you yourself may not be aware of.

• #5 by Carl on June 2, 2011 - 7:05 am

Thank you so much, Marantha. I appreciate your kind words.

3. #6 by Daydreamertoo on June 2, 2011 - 6:18 am

Great piece of writing. Only way to deal with whatever we fear, face it head on. I hope this man did too!
    Tahnks for visiting my blog 🙂

• #7 by Carl on June 2, 2011 - 7:05 am

Thank you for your comment.

4. #8 by Kay Camden on June 2, 2011 - 10:04 am

But it’s good to have a supportive wife. So he’s got something going for him.

• #9 by Carl on June 3, 2011 - 6:28 am

Yes! And he’s got a coffee cup without a bar code! Thanks, Kay!

5. #10 by Indigo Spider on June 2, 2011 - 12:08 pm

Oh, the horror of quitting a job, I remember it well as I went through the same thing about 18 months ago. I feel for him and wish I had someone supportive, like he had his wife, when I had to swallow the fear and do it. Unfortunately, I was a coward and did it over the phone! Very well written, capture the fear and doubt, all those feelings, synthesized in the word choice perfectly.

• #11 by Carl on June 3, 2011 - 6:30 am

Oh, thank you so much! I appreciate your comment more than you’ll know!