Searching Through Stop Lights

There are two quite long stop lights on the way back home.
I feel victorious when they are red.
My spaces, not for staring, not for judging others,
but for spiritual transition
out of the deep graves of humankind’s laws.

My right arm with torn muscle
reaches for The Complete Anne Sexton.
She is sparked by the alert.
Passenger side air bag isn’t on.

I crawl under a mighty Northeastern Oak tree.
Anne holds my hand and her eyes tell me I’m good.
It’s my transition.
I want Anne to hold my hand forever.

But the light will change.
Hundreds of wicked symbols will shock me
back to hate. Back to detesting who I am
and how I see the messy chaos of unmixed disgust.

Anne sits back into the tan plush, lacking her air bag.
I hope Anne has left a drop of life in me from the transition.
I hope there might be life left in me when I get back home.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by carldagostino on May 28, 2011 - 2:30 pm

I never heard of Ann Sexton. I will look her up. I used to like to listen to Dylan Thomas reading his stuff. It is like “something unique” when He reads it. Now this red light waiting. You have mastered this quite well. My waiting is marked by silently raging, cursing and aggravated at the heat, the traffic and knowing that the jerks in front of me will take their time making that left turn and I won’t make it and will have to wait through another light. Then the process starts all over again.

• #2 by Carl on May 29, 2011 - 11:17 pm

Carl,
      Let me assure you that when you’re dreaming about poetry, especially Anne’s poetry, the traffic will never bother you!

2. #3 by pattisj on May 30, 2011 - 9:34 pm

I had to Google her, too, as I was not familiar with her poetry, or her story. May you ALWAYS have life in you when you get back home.

• #4 by Carl on May 31, 2011 - 6:56 am

Thank you, Patti. Thanks for commenting.

3. #5 by Kay Camden on May 31, 2011 - 11:01 am

I, too, love the red lights, but not to contemplate poetry.
    To be first. So I can GO. Red line, shift, red line, shift, red line, shift. Until I catch up to another clog of minivans going 5 under the speed limit while their drivers leisurely talk on their phones.
    So I think we’ve determined I’m a heck of a lot shallower than you. You have no reason for self-loathing. Easy for me to say, I know. Stop all that contemplation and put the pedal to the floor.

• #6 by Carl on May 31, 2011 - 11:42 pm

Green, Green, Green!

Thank you for the comment!

4. #7 by seabell on June 1, 2011 - 11:41 am

Interesting… Maybe we should classify humans according to their preferences: red lights and green lights. It shows well the kind of person you are!

• #8 by Carl on June 1, 2011 - 8:48 pm

Oh, goodness! I’d be classified by yellow!