Sun Sets on One Man’s Trash

I have been reluctant to post this and I am coming in at the last moment, but I figured I had fun with it, and even if it is awful, no one will shoot me, so here is my response to another Inspiration Monday. I looked at the prompts, one of which might be used, I wasn’t too big on any one of them, so I decided to write a piece with all of them – a strange piece of surrealism that may fall quite flat.

Here are the prompts from Inspiration Monday XI

The curse of immortality
War was the least of our problems
Sun sets, curtain rises
Declared independence. Nobody listened.
One man’s trash

Check out the fantastic work over there – Some very talented writers…

**********************************************************************

SUN SETS ON ONE MAN’S TRASH

During the day, the curtains are down, and I am encased by my neo French-cottage mass of twisted rooms and stair cases with all of the walls surrounded by bookshelves which bathe my space with a dense brown pall that helps keep me at peace with my studies.

The sun is setting, the curtain rising. Tonight is rhythmically symmetrical to all of the other nights. As the curtain goes up, I look into the darkness spoiled by the street light. Ernie Hemingway is in the middle of my yard, singing in a Gregorian style, with a Dorian scale, telling me in a miserably sad fashion that the sun also rises. Ernie has been doing this for seven days straight at sunset, working to encourage me to leave my curtains up when the sun comes up so that I can watch the world in its happening state, but every night, I tell him to give it up and either come inside and talk with me about the philosophy of modernism (or better, the more powerful energy behind post-modernism) or go home, but quit the damned singing.

Broadway Joe pounds on the front door. He barges in like the FBI, but there’s no navy jacket with big yellow lettering. He’s wearing a green jacket with the Jets moniker, and he screams loudly enough to cause distressful pain in my ears, “All right, Mr. Carl, we’re here to do a makeover! You sit down and we’ll be done in no time.” There is a large, unraveling twine of light, and I am tossed into my fat, black, leather, cushy couch with the foot rest already extended, with a cigar in my mouth, not having the chance to protest that I am currently smoke-free, thinking there is something deeply malevolent about the cigar because when I look around, all of my bookshelves (and the books themselves!) have been removed, all of the walls white, and most oddly, Joe has hung perhaps millions of nylon stockings from my ceilings in the most random fashion. Joe heightens the mystery as he is leaving, bellowing “One man’s trash…” If this is War of the Worlds, war is the least of our problems. My books are gone, which makes me feel dead.

John Adams is sprawling in the back of the saddle on the escape elephant. I am surprised that he wears his revolutionary garb. At the corner of Stage Coach and Irwin Street, General Eisenhower tells us that the entire Interstate system has eroded to dust. Dust is nothing for our elephant. John and I climb one of the easier mountains on the front range of the Rockies. We declare independence. Nobody listens.

Coming down the mountain in our Ferrari two-seater, the rush out of this world, I am so scared, I’m paralyzed, but A. J. Foyt is driving competently. He stops at an overhang, and asks, “What’s the matter, son?”

“I can’t take this kind of intense fear!”

A. J. is so frustrated, I think he might punch me out. He continues, “Son, we’re making you immune to the fear. We will do this for years and years until the fear is gone. It is the curse of immortality – we are no longer allowed the luxury of fear.”

It is easy for him to say, but he starts back down the road, and I start singing, screaming, “COMING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN!”

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by carldagostino on May 15, 2011 - 9:39 pm

This joint seems like absolute heaven. May I visit bringing some friends please? Albert Schweitzer, Mary Baker Eddy and Emily Dickinson would love to meet your posse.

• #2 by Carl on May 16, 2011 - 6:39 am

Thank you for your comment! You have some great friends – Bring them along.

2. #3 by MARANTHA JENELLE on May 15, 2011 - 9:50 pm

Man, I have to tell you, you did an outstanding job of including all of those prompts quite well! And here you thought it would be a flop, when in truth it is hilariously funny! I absolutely loved it! And let me tell you, including all of the prompts in one piece is very definitely NOT easy…I should know, I’ve done it…twice!

Aren’t those prompts super inspirational! http://bekindrewrite.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/inspiration-monday-xi does such a fantastic job!

wishing you a multitude of blessings

marantha jenellle

By the way, I see I will be making another link “button” to add to my page, for I am most definitely subscribing to you!

• #4 by Carl on May 16, 2011 - 6:41 am

Thank you for your comment, Marantha! I appreciate your kind words, and I enjoy your work.

3. #5 by pattisj on May 15, 2011 - 10:42 pm

Loved the cast of characters you chose, and you did a great job of capturing all the prompts. Quite amusing ride, my friend.

• #6 by Carl on May 16, 2011 - 6:41 am

You are so kind! Thanks for your comment!

4. #7 by Kay Camden on May 16, 2011 - 9:36 am

I was laughing out loud at the sheer chaos within this – possibly more chaotic to me personally because (as I’ve said before) your writing is waaay over my head. Just compare with what I wrote for this prompt and you’ll know why.

I enjoyed it though. What a trip. Never hesitate posting something you think is awful. You’re far too naturally creative to write anything awful. It may be weird (that’s a compliment), but never awful.

• #8 by Carl on May 16, 2011 - 10:17 pm

Thank you, Kay. Nothing is over your head – You have to get really low to get the weird stuff! 🙂

I do love chaos, but this felt a bit mild. 🙂

5. #9 by bekindrewrite on May 16, 2011 - 8:27 pm

This is a little bit like every dream I’ve ever had.

• #10 by Carl on May 16, 2011 - 10:28 pm

Oh, that is wonderful! Much better than an imploded lab experiment. I like how you said that. Thank you for your comment.

6. #11 by Indigo Spider on May 16, 2011 - 9:42 pm

That was a wild ride. I definitely have to read through more to catch all that is going on, wow. Impressive that you got all the prompts in there and it flows in this crazy fashion that is so much fun. I will definitely be back to read more of your stuff!

• #12 by Carl on May 16, 2011 - 10:30 pm

You are so kind to read and comment! I have really enjoyed your work. Your words mean a great deal.

7. #13 by Val on May 18, 2011 - 6:51 pm

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! And this is why I love your writing so much. When you write from the dark heart, it’s deep, when you write from the ligh theart it’s just… I dunno, Carl – I haven’t words for it, I just love your writing!

• #14 by Carl on May 19, 2011 - 12:47 am

Those are the most kind words from you, Val! I love your work so it is so nice to hear your encouragement.

1. Inspiration Monday XII « BeKindRewrite