My Tree Rings

You can try to count the rings.
They wrap and sing.
Rubber and like the insulation in doorjambs and thick and flexible.
They emit serious grease, keeping me sealed from love,
pushing goo through my mind.
At times I take a short, sharp knife and pierce through some rings.
I can feel tiny, slight motions of cool air.
The love creeps weakly through my mind,
and I feel almost okay, wonder how many knifings I can take.

, , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Kay Camden on May 1, 2011 - 4:46 pm

This makes me squirm. I read it three times, and it was almost painful to read. Kind of like watching a Lars Von Trier movie (that’s a compliment… haha). Good writing!

• #2 by Carl on May 2, 2011 - 7:12 am

Thank you for your comment, Kay! You’re very kind! I don’t know Lars Von Trier, but it is nice to write something that is like a movie…It’s an interesting reflection.

2. #3 by screen_scribbla on May 2, 2011 - 2:01 pm

Though I’m not convinced that love is a mental exercise, I suspect that is the point of the poem. The imagery is very powerful.
    And Lars von Trier is well worth acquainting yourself with. I recommend starting with his earlier work first and then watching his more recent works.

• #4 by Kay Camden on May 2, 2011 - 3:19 pm

Yes, I agree with Scribbla. Just be prepared to squirm/cry/cover your eyes. You won’t be able to unwatch what you’ve seen after the credits start to roll. His films definitely affect the viewer, in a very primal way. Maybe not everyone in the same way…

• #5 by Carl on May 2, 2011 - 8:40 pm

Interesting comment. I appreciate you stopping and commenting. I am not convinced that love is a mental exercise, but I am convinced that love helps fuel better activities in the mind. Actually, I have no clue, but I did try to write about what happens to me…

I am not good with following film, but I will give this a try. Thank you.

3. #6 by pattisj on May 3, 2011 - 7:13 pm

With each “knifing” more love will enter, and replace the goo in your mind, until you are wholly and fully healed.

• #7 by Carl on May 3, 2011 - 9:50 pm

Thank you for your comment. Sometimes we have to hurt to get better.

• #8 by pattisj on May 3, 2011 - 11:21 pm

I think there is a lot of truth in that–it hurts to get better. Kind of like some of our home DIY projects. There’s a whole lot of mess that gets made tearing out the old before the new can be done.