Crumbling Sidewalk

You were walking on a sidewalk with a beautiful day and perfect temperatures providing accompaniment. You decided  to listen to the sweet man with the very short hair and the oddly patterned black and white shirt. You feel the resistance. You don’t want to believe the man with the very short hair.

The man tells you that you live in two states. One like the one you are in on the sidewalk, calmly and very slowly in control. Your mind is spinning heavily but your state controls the mind and makes it still like a heavy bucket of settling cement. Everything is slow, perhaps slower than half speed and nothing can go wrong. The other state you get in is when the cement falls out of the bucket and spills along the gutter rolling as little pebbles, bouncing around and slowing into place as if arranging a garden out of the city street. This is the empty state and you are massively confused. You know nothing. Your mind is spinning millions of stories and it is empty at the very same time. It is a confused state. Each state needs the other state which gives you balance and balance is your gold medal in life.

You tell the nice man that you only wish you could be in a state in the middle. You wish you could be normal.

You keep walking and the pebbles keep gathering and separating as if they are toying with your mind, as if telling you how wacked you are.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by pattisj on April 29, 2011 - 10:37 pm

I’m glad the sweet man reached out. We all need someone to reach out, to help us find our balance when we are teetering on the edge…someone to offer hope, to bring light into the darkness that tries to snuff us out.

• #2 by Carl on April 30, 2011 - 4:46 pm

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it.

2. #3 by Wren's Cage on April 29, 2011 - 11:11 pm

intriguing
    and thoughtful
    well written – yet confusing
    isn’t that just like the mind

• #4 by Carl on April 30, 2011 - 4:47 pm

Thank you for your comment.

3. #5 by Val on April 30, 2011 - 7:28 am

I keep trying to find out what ‘normal’ is, and d’you know, I think it’s the 9-5 tedium, the facebook tedium, the mobile phone tedium, the ‘everything’s okay as long as I’m okay’ tedium. I’m also residing somewhere in the pebbles and the quick setting cement states and I think it’s probably better there a lot of the time. I get to tweak my nose at the so-called ‘normal’ people! I love your writing, by the way – have I told you that?

• #6 by Carl on April 30, 2011 - 4:50 pm

Thank you, Val! That is a big statement from such a good writer! I appreciate your comment. I think normal must not be good for most people.

• #7 by Val on May 1, 2011 - 7:23 am

You’re welcome, Carl. And no, I don’t think ‘normal’ is a great state to be in, so limiting.

Anyway…. I don’t know if you’ll want it or not, but I’ve given you a ‘blog award’ here:

You can accept or decline as you wish, I don’t mind. (The post is humorous but the offer is sincere).

• #8 by Carl on May 2, 2011 - 7:15 am

Your kindness is immense, Val. I appreciate this very much.

4. #9 by claudia on May 1, 2011 - 8:24 am

i can relate to this carl – i’m constantly struggling for balance..it IS the gold medal in life…love how you describe the two states – the state in the middle…on the other hand i think we would never have the depth, we have if we always lived in the middle without the depths and heights..

• #10 by Carl on May 2, 2011 - 7:16 am

Yes, I would not want to give up any of the depth.